There is an Obsession Among Us

Artwork by Sarah Butler

Madison Kelly, Journalist

During quarantine, many people took up new hobbies, and interests.  A game that has caught the eye of many teens and adults over quarantine, is called Among Us. It’s a multiplayer strategy game with a deadly twist.

The game has grown in popularity in the past couple of months, and many teens, gamers, celebrities, and even politicians like Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) and Ilhan Omar, enjoy playing. 

“I probably play five to six games a day…I might be addicted, just a tad,” Ariel Graupner, 11, said.

Even though this game came out in 2018, it didn’t become widely known until recently. Most people are just finding out about it now. 

“I’ve been playing since August…I heard about it from a friend while I was on a beach trip,” Graupner said.

Some found out about it through their friends, while others heard about it online, through social media.

“All the popular streamers started playing it and it blew up on Tik Tok a while ago,” Ralph Nuss said, 11.

The game has two roles: crewmate and imposter. If you are an imposter, your goal is to kill everyone before they finish their tasks, and avoid getting voted out. If you are a crewmate, your goal is to figure out who the imposter among you is, and try to finish your tasks. 

”I love being imposter, and sabotaging everything,” Jada Hardy said, 11. 

When you are in the game, you can’t talk unless you are in a meeting or about to vote someone out. Then, players have access to a chat to discuss with each other. Typing can be a lot of work, so some choose to play with their friends on Facetime.

“I’ll play with my friends on Facetime after school, and we basically scream at each other and say everyone is sus,” Graupner said.

Facetime is just one way students can connect while playing the game. Other users are turning to apps like discord to communicate while playing the game.

“I usually play through discord, so that we can mute each other,” Nuss said, 11,” It’s a social media platform where you can call your friends on your computer, so you don’t have to use your phone.”